- Maximise the footprint of the new building on the site
- Create a flexible building
- Maximise the lettable area in the new building
- Create great office space - that is appealing to the likely tenants
- Design a modern building that sensitively fits within the historic Berners Street setting
- To engage early with the local planning authority to ensure the design can be realised
- Maximise floor to ceiling heights
44 Berners Street, London
Type: New Build
Client: Berners Property
Architect: Buckley Gray Yeoman
The proposal is to demolish two existing townhouse buildings and replace them with a new 7 storey office building of circa 35,000sqft.
The proposals include for exposure of the concrete soffits within the offices and use of a displacement system to increase the floor to floor dimension. One of the early investigations is to determine if an on-site sub-station is required- currently the assumption is for basement plant with little roof top equipment.
Architecturally the proposals are for two upper floors that step back at 6th floor and are expressed as lightweight construction an top of a masonry base.